Precision sight is one thing that you must have when hunting.
For one, the human eye can capture details that even the most advanced computer vision technology may miss. However, we cannot use features like magnification or focusing.
It is why even the most skilled hunters have to use binocular or monocular devices when spending time in the wild. Now, a sightseer or birdwatcher may choose a pair of binoculars in an instant.
However, you have to prioritize ergonomics and ease of carrying around when hunting. It thus makes it easy and sensible to go for a monocular, which is as efficient as a pair of binoculars but compact and lightweight.
However, like binoculars, monoculars also come in different sizes and pack various features. You would have to consider a variety of factors as such. For instance, we will start by filtering monoculars with a considerable magnification capacity and image brightness.
Since you take these devices with you in the wild, the lens must survive challenging environments and other issues like moisture. You may also have to consider the Field of View of the monocular.
Last but not least, you will have to consider the customer reviews to know how the product survives in the wild. Because every hunter has different budgets to keep track of, you will have to filter products based on the price tag.
We talked to some of the best veteran hunters we know to make things easier. These people have spent a considerable amount of time in the wild, and they will talk non-stop about how helpful the monoculars are.
So, we took their insightful opinions and chose the best monocular devices in the market. After final-level filtering, we list the five best monoculars for hunting.
Best Monocular For Hunting – Reviews For 2021
Winner: Roxant Wide View Grip Scope Monocular
- Weight: 8.7oz
- Material: Plastic
- Waterproof: No
The Roxant Wide View Grip Scope Monocular is a widely recommended monocular for hunting. It is a general-purpose monocular, but it delivers competent performance for hunting, camping, birdwatching, and other outdoor activities.
The product brings together an ergonomic design, impressive features, and on-point accuracy. Despite all feature richness inside, the monocular can easily fit your hunting bag. So, we had more than a few reasons to choose this popular monocular device as our winner pick. And we believe it must be your first consideration.
- The Roxant Wide View Grip Scope Monocular is very compact and lightweight. In addition to taking up only a minimal amount of space in your bag, the device weighs just 8.7oz. Therefore, the product would not be a heavy addition to your hunting bag. From a practical point of view, you can safely use the products in unstable environments.
- Despite being small, the construction quality and design of the monocular are commendable. Its no-slip design ensures maximum safety while holding the product. Even when you use a higher level of magnification, the product does not shake, which is excellent. The well-designed retractable eyepiece offers superb comfort even if you use glasses.
- Roxant is one of the most popular brands for monoculars for a reason. Even though you get a limited magnification capacity of only 6x, the multi-coated BAK4 Prism Glass Lens does a great job when you are in the wild. You can stay confident about the details you see through the viewfinder. We have to appreciate how the light management system in the device works.
- As we said earlier, you can take the product to almost every scenario out there. Be it hunting, hiking, camping, or just sightseeing, you will love the overall usability of the Roxant Wide View Grip Scope Monocular. The grip often becomes a security feature that enhances overall comfort, which is no less impressive.
- In the end, we are dealing with a 6×30 monocular for general purposes. While it does not come with extraordinary magnification, the Wide View provided by the system is flawless. It is pretty remarkable when you try to capture as many details as possible through a panoramic shot. Roxant has invested a lot in the quality of the lens.
- The biggest drawback of the Roxant Wide View Grip Scope Monocular is its limited magnification of 6x. On the one hand, 6x is a decent level of magnification to reduce shaking and improve the total viewing experience. However, we would have loved to see an additional zooming option, which many hunters could use.
- Some customer reviews have also noted that the product offers a non-smooth focus mechanism. So, if you are entirely new to monoculars, you may have a tough time adjusting to the tightness of the focus ring. It would have been nice if the Roxant Wide View Grip Scope Monocular could offer an easier way to go about it.
Just as you take the product out of the box, the Roxant Wide View Grip Scope Monocular package is comprehensive. In addition to the monocular itself, you get a carrying pouch, belt loop, cleaning cloth, and even a neck strap. It means you can start using the product right away. Roxant is also great when it comes to after-sales support if you are wondering.
Roxant has a good number of accessories available in the market. You can quickly get one of these products and hook it up with the Roxant Wide View Grip Scope Monocular. This option may come in handy when you want to increase the magnification capacity or the coverage. It is nice to see such expansion options even as you pay a minimal amount.
Buying the Roxant Wide View Grip Scope Monocular as your go-to monocular does not need much thinking or second-guessing. If you are happy with the 6x magnification, this product is the best option you have in the market. While the monocular itself does not come with any advanced features, you will love the overall comfort and expandability of the device.
Runner-up: Vortex Optics Solo R/T 8×36 Monocular
- Weight: 12.8oz
- Material: Textured Rubber
- Waterproof: Yes
As you may have noticed, our winner pick had somewhat reasonable pricing. However, our runner-up pick sits on the other end of the spectrum. The Vortex Optics Solo R/T 8×36 Monocular is an excellent option for those who can spend a premium amount on their hunting monocular.
The product delivers a combination of modern design, advanced features, and superior build quality. Vortex has also focused on using some of the best optics for the product. We also loved a few features that increase the overall usability of the hunting equipment.
- Like we mentioned, the Vortex Optics Solo R/T 8×36 Monocular is not a general-purpose device. Its features are great when it comes to providing a premium hunting experience. The 36mm objective lens is particularly great for range estimation and general observation. The overall machine has a compact outlook, nevertheless.
- We should appreciate the overall design of the product as well. The maker has used textured rubber on top of the housing construction. This extra layer does two jobs. One, it provides enough grip and comfort while holding the monocular. Two, it makes the monocular waterproof and fog-proof. The O-ring sealed system enhances the overall accuracy as well.
- Unlike our first pick, the Vortex Optics Solo R/T 8×36 Monocular comes with an easy-to-use ring for adjusting the focus. The flexible eye receptacle also comes in handy in ensuring the best visuals using the monocular. This precision-focused system performs exceptionally well in low-light environments as well. In short, you can optimize this device for the best performance quickly and effectively.
- As you can guess from the name, the system combines 8x magnification and a 36mm lens. Now, the 8x zooming option from the Vortex Optics Solo R/T 8×36 Monocular is just fantastic. It will help you find out deeper details, especially with the help of the focus ring. It is also significant that a flared eyecup design improves the visuals by blocking additional light.
- Once again, because you are paying a premium amount, the package is an inclusive one. For instance, you get an integral utility clip to connect to various spaces. You can also attach an impressive variety of accessories, such as a lanyard. Altogether, you can do quite a few things to improve the carrying experience.
- Some may feel that the Vortex Optics Solo R/T 8×36 Monocular is quite expensive, regardless of the features in the package. I mean, not everyone can spend the same amount on a monocular device. You would also have to take care of the battery and charge if you want to use all the options we talked about.
- While the 8x magnification is good enough for most parts, some say the focus ring could be more significant. Some users have trouble accessing the focus ring when trying to adjust the overall visuals from the monocular. The close focus of the device, at 16.4 feet, also becomes a hindrance to how all these things work.
- Some customer reviews also indicate that the Vortex Optics Solo R/T 8×36 Monocular is tough to hold and manage. There seems to be a considerable amount of shaking, primarily when you use the magnification function. Otherwise, you can ensure maximum visibility for up to 500 or 600 yards.
The Vortex Optics Solo R/T 8×36 Monocular comes with a few advanced options that will help in strategizing your hunting plan. For instance, the receptacles used on the device come with support for a form of angular measurement called milliradian. Even when you deal with ordinary objects and different terrain, the new measurement system will come in handy.
We noticed that the product offers some features for comfort. If you are a long-range hunter who wants to ensure the best angles before you proceed, you would love the adjustable receptacle design. We also think you will love the lifetime, unconditional warranty from Vortex. This warranty is something that you cannot expect in low-cost alternatives.
We think you should get the Vortex Optics Solo R/T 8×36 Monocular if you are looking for a premium hunting accessory. The company has done a great job of adding valuable features to the package. You can also count on the device’s range measurement and magnification capacity. In the end, you can use the utility belt or set up a lanyard to carry the system around. It still is a little too expensive for some customers.
Alternative: Vabogu 12×50 Monocular Telescope
- Weight: 8.8oz
- Material: Plastic
- Waterproof: Yes
You should consider the Vabogu 12×50 Monocular Telescope if you need a more versatile monocular for hunting and other needs. Even though made of plastic, the device delivers top-of-the-line power and flexibility. It is an excellent alternative if you need a monocular to connect with your smartphone.
- Even though the maker has used plastic to construct the primary housing, you can spot reinforcement on multiple sides of the monocular telescope. In the end, you can get excellent visuals, thanks to a 12x magnification and 50mm objective lens.
- Due to the versatile design, you can connect the Vabogu 12×50 Monocular Telescope to various smartphone models out there. If you are into birdwatching and your smartphone camera cannot get the shot, you can count on this connection.
- Using this compact monocular telescope with a tripod is as easy as holding it in your hand. The maker has even included a lens cover, which protects the device from dust and moisture when not in use. You can also connect other attachments to the system.
- Despite the product’s low price, you can avail of the manufacturer’s high-quality warranty and return options. Considering the reinforced design that we talked about, the device can survive many diverse environments.
- The biggest problem with the Vabogu 12×50 Monocular Telescope is that you may have a hard time keeping it steady. This problem becomes more visible when you focus on an object far away. You may not face this issue if you stick to a starter-level distance, though.
We loved how the Vabogu 12×50 Monocular Telescope takes care of the security aspect. When connected to a smartphone or tripod, you can use multiple screw holes and gadgets to ensure the maximum safety of your phone. As you can guess, the modern monocular will be a blessing for photographers.
You should buy the Vabogu 12×50 Monocular Telescope if you are looking for diverse use-cases. The product comes as a complete package and works well with tripods and smartphones. Last but not least, it can provide you best-in-class visuals as well.
Alternative: Gosky 12×55 Monocular Telescope
- Weight: 24.32oz
- Material: Multi-coated
- Waterproof: Yes
Here is another waterproof monocular you can use for hunting and wildlife photography. While it does have a price tag as expensive as the runner-up pick, the device is a combination of great qualities. The extra amount you pay is for brighter visuals and more details. All the while, the Gosky 12×55 Monocular Telescope does not compromise comfort either.
- As you can deduce from the name, the Gosky 12×55 Monocular Telescope comes with a 55mm lens and 12x magnification. It is one of the best specifications you can get for this price. For one, Gosky’s build quality ensures the best image reproduction.
- The design of the monocular has been optimized for outdoor enthusiasts. There are options to hold the device without shaking and measure the distance. The same tools come in handy when you hook up a smartphone.
- The Gosky 12×55 Monocular Telescope becomes a true companion for your tripod or the smartphone when connected. You can either capture everything into a photograph or see things with maximum quality.
- We also recommend the monocular telescope for its build quality. The design can protect the device and its lenses from water, fog, dust, and shock. It is as comprehensive as things would get in this case.
- We could not find any worth-mentioning drawback with the Gosky 12×55 Monocular Telescope. The product seems to work fine across different environments. However, there are the occasional cases of tight focus modules and other controls.
The Gosky 12×55 Monocular Telescope package does not offer many extra features.
Despite the semi-premium pricing, the Gosky 12×55 Monocular Telescope delivers a genuinely premium hunting experience for most people. Therefore, if you need a monocular telescope that does not compromise build quality or accuracy, you can choose this product.
Alternative: Pankoo 40X60 High Power Monocular
- Weight: 20oz
- Material: Plastic
- Waterproof: Yes
The Pankoo 40X60 High Power Monocular is a great alternative when you need top-notch performance with no extra spending. This cost-effective product offers the best combination of magnification and lens clarity, making it a suitable option for hunters and photographers.
- Despite the lower pricing, the Pankoo 40X60 High Power Monocular is waterproof and dustproof. It means you can take the device to almost any scenario and expect maximum durability. The lens comes with additional protection for moisture as well.
- We are talking about a magnification level of 10x and an objective lens of 60mm. In addition to the higher field of view, the product can ensure a comfortable measurement experience. You would not have any problem connecting to a tripod/smartphone, either.
- We also loved how the system performs when placed towards moving objects. Without using a high amount of power, the premium BAK4 PRISM lens can focus on faraway things. If you want to confirm your animals before you fire, this feature will come in handy.
- The tripod/smartphone compatibility of the Pankoo 40X60 High Power Monocular goes a long way. Because the lens system can deliver high-quality pictures, your smartphone camera can amplify them with minimal effort.
- Unlike many other products on the list, the Pankoo 40X60 High Power Monocular does not offer any accessories. You may need to purchase the holding materials and carrying case if you want a secure method of transport.
We could not find many useful extra features in this package.
If your budget is a serious concern, but you still need a powerful monocular, the Pankoo 40X60 High Power Monocular will be our recommendation. The product would be a great addition to your hunting gear, and you can constantly improve your photography skills a bit.
Best Monocular for Hunting FAQ
What is the best magnification for a monocular?
You may think that higher magnification would be better. However, according to optics experts and veterans, you will have the best experience with 6x magnification.
In this method, you can zoom into the frame as you want. But, at the same time, you do not have to worry about shake or increased sensitivity.
Are monoculars better than binoculars?
From a few points of view, monoculars are better than binoculars. As you have seen, monoculars are known for their compact design and competitive performance.
It means you can easily carry these products around without a problem. Many monoculars come with advanced features as well. If you are ready to pay more, a monocular can provide you advanced range estimation features too.
How far can you see with a 40×60 monocular?
The specific number would depend on the lens being used on the product and the magnification settings. Despite that, you should see up to 1000 yards with such a monocular.
It is a great place to begin from a hunter’s point of view. However, you should know if you need such a high field of view and zooming options before buying the product.
What size monocular do I need?
We always recommend prioritizing the quality of the monoculars over the size. There is no point in having a suitable-sized monocular if you cannot see what lies ahead.
You should also consider if you want to use the product for purposes other than hunting. As you have seen, many products we have mentioned above come with photography-oriented features.
We believe all the monoculars we have listed are generally great for hunting. However, we understand that every hunter has different priorities in the wild.
Some want the classic options from a telescope, while others love to use the convenience-oriented features. Depending on where you stand on this spectrum, you may pick the right monocular for you.