If you’re hunting ducks in the winter, you might find that ice can create problems for you, such as forming a ring of ice around the water, reducing your access to it. A solution for such issues is getting an ice eater.
An ice eater is a device that protects your boat and dock from freezing water, especially ice. This can be damaging to your boat, such as when the ice grinds against the hull, or when water freezes inside a wooden boat and causes leaks.
But, it can also help to prevent ice from freezing over in smaller bodies of water like ponds, therefore ensuring that the thick ice doesn’t kill off fish in the area.
By removing ice from the water yourself, you’ll be able to set up decoys to better attract ducks to your area. With this in mind, here’s our list of the best ice eaters for duck hunting in 2022. We run down their pros and cons so you can choose the best one.
Best Ice Eaters For Duck Hunting – Reviews & Buying guide for 2022
Editor’s Choice: Kasco Marine Deicer
- Item Weight: 37 Pounds
- Power Cord: 25Ft
- Voltage: 120V, 240V, 220V
This ice eater prevents ice from forming in a large area of water. It ensures that you always have a 50-foot diameter of water that can’t ice over, so it’s useful for duck hunting endeavors.
For ease of use, this Kasco Marine ice eater has a 25-foot power cord and two 20-foot suspension ropes, so you can use it from a distance.
This deicer bubbler has a powerful motor and a propeller that can use up to 1750 RPM, ensuring a better flow of water. The warm water moves to the surface so that it can’t become frozen, keeping your boat or dock protected against the harsh cold temperatures.
This product has been ETL-approved to CSA and UL standards, making it safe to use and reliable. It comes with thermal overload protection as well as mooring lines for suspended operation, which you might have to use depending on your hunting situation.
For increased versatility, this deicer comes with a variety of dock mounting systems in different unit sizes. This unit is available in 120V, 240V, and 220V, with the two 20-foot mooring lines included.
- This deicer doesn’t have to be run continuously, even in cold weather. You can make use of a thermostat and timer to set on/off periods.
- It’s easy to use and install, so it’s beginner-friendly. It also comes with an instruction manual to help you set it up.
- You can power wash it when it becomes dirty, so it’s easy to clean after a long duck-hunting adventure.
- If you’re not using this when hunting ducks, you can use it to keep your pond healthy. It provides more oxygen for your ponds and lakes so that their habitats are healthier.
- It comes with a three-year limited warranty.
- If you want to use this deicer with a thermostat, you’ll have to purchase it separately.
- Some people have said that the unit’s 6.7 amp rating isn’t correct, as you will have to be prepared for it requiring around 10 or 12 amps.
Runner Up: Ice Eater by The Power House
- Item Weight: 13.3 Pounds
- Power Cord: Wireless
- Voltage: No Voltage
This small mount is compatible with the Ice Eater P500. It’s a dock mount that can be used for a variety of applications, such as deicing water in the winter, creating currents to attract fish, and even removing oil spills around your boat.
This will come to your rescue to make duck hunting and other water-related activities much easier.
It’s built for durability, thanks to its stainless-steel fasteners and steel mountain base, protecting the ice eater against harsh conditions that can cause it to corrode over time. It also comes with a pipe holder, protecting it against rust when used in saltwater.
As a bonus, this deicer works well to remove muck and weeds from your dock and other swimming areas.
Note that you won’t be purchasing an ice eater unit with this duck mount. This is only a duck mount, so you will still have to purchase a deicer separately. However, since this mount is so versatile you’ll be able to use it in a variety of applications.
- This dock mount can be attached to a pole or dock so that you can direct water from the ice eater in various directions.
- The dock mount lets you change the depth and angle of the motor, with a 360-degree angle position.
- It enables you to use the ice eater vertically or horizontally, so it’s versatile.
- It’s portable and weighs 13.3 pounds, making it easy to carry to and from your hunting area.
- Assembly parts are included, such as clevis pins and clips, a bale, a tightening handle, a nut, a lock washer, a bolt, and a flat washer.
- This ice eater doesn’t come with some of the items you will require for its installation, such as a stainless steel or galvanized pipe and u-bolts or lag screws that you can use for securing a dock mount.
- Some people have said that this dock mount doesn’t tilt as much as they would have liked.
Best Value For Money: ICE EATER P750-25
- Item Weight: 3 Pounds
- Power Cord: 25Ft
- Voltage: 115V
This ice eater has five deicing patterns so that you can circulate saltwater and freshwater more effectively when you’re hunting ducks.
This works well to prevent ice from forming and it melts ice that’s already in the water, enabling you to keep your dock or boat protected against the elements.
It achieves this by producing constant circulation of warm water underneath the surface while simultaneously circulating colder surface water. With a custom design, it can work in a variety of weather conditions.
It has a patented PVC Venturi housing that ensures protection to the motor and propeller, as well as increased water flow.
You can use this ice eater for a variety of applications, such as in your pond or in lakes. It’s powerful enough to move up to 1275 GPM, and it will work within a diameter of 60 feet, so it’s more powerful than many other deicers on the market.
The company offers a variety of additional accessories that you can buy to increase the unit’s effectiveness, such as thermostats, dock mounts, and replacement propellers.
- This ice eater has a bronze end bell to ensure greater durability and a longer lifespan without wear and tear.
- It comes with a quick-disconnect power cord so it can be replaced easily when required.
- It has dielectric lubricating fluid that’s safe to use and biodegradable.
- It provides up to 1650 RPM and doesn’t get stuck because of marine growth in the water.
- It only weighs three pounds, so it’s easy to carry around and use, which makes it versatile for multi-day hunting trips.
- Although it has a screen to prevent weeds and other natural elements from entering it, small items can get through.
- It will run non-stop unless you install a thermostat, which is sold separately.
Ice Eaters for Duck Hunting FAQ
Now that we’ve looked at three of the best deicers on the market, let’s explore some information about these units and how they operate. This will help you to figure out if you need a deicer for your next duck-hunting adventure, or if you can make one yourself.
How does an ice eater work?
When the water near the bottom of the lake or other body of water is heated up by the earth, it gets drawn to the surface by the deicer’s propeller. This warm water gets circulated so that ice cannot form in it.
This process ensures that there’s an open area of water around the dock or boat, preventing ice-related issues. Deicers are not just beneficial for people who own boats or hunt ducks, as they ensure that open areas of water can remain free of ice.
This means that the water will better absorb oxygen which sustains the life of aquatic species such as fish, making it good for the environment.
For duck hunters, a deicer gets mounted onto a frame so that you can clear ice from duck ponds or other small bodies of water. You can also adjust the deicer so that you produce more movement in the water.
This is especially important in the wintertime if you’re using decoys to attract ducks to your hunting area, as the movement will look realistic to the real ducks you wish to hunt.
It’s a common misconception to think that deicers only work during the winter. You can use them all year-round as they have many benefits instead of just removing ice. They rid stagnant water, plant growth, and unpleasant smells that can occur in the water.
How do you make an ice eater for duck hunting?
While ice eaters are usually marketed for use around docks and boats, you can also use them for duck hunting. You don’t necessarily have to purchase a deicer for duck hunting. You can make your own at home, and it doesn’t have to cost a lot of money.
One tutorial makes use of a trolling motor that’s been sawed off so that it can spin and circulate water, a treestand base with its metal cut out, and crossbars for the base so that when the motor spins it won’t tip over the base.
It also makes use of a bucket. A bracket is used to connect the bucket to the base. A pipe is used from the bucket to the motor. You can then hook up the motor to your truck battery.
This DIY duck hunting deicer can be used when hunting on frozen ponds as you will be able to clear a hunting area in the water with greater ease. Bad weather doesn’t have to get in the way of your duck hunt.
Another tutorial makes a DIY deicer with a T-post that has a 2×4 attached. Then, you can hook it up to a trolling motor and hang a marine battery via a strong cable to the T-post.
To conceal the deicer when you’re hunting in the water, you can cover it with burlap. This will mimic the natural environment so it won’t blow your cover by spooking ducks.
A deicer is a must-have for duck hunting water equipment, as it will keep the water free of ice. In this article, we’ve featured three of the best ice eaters for duck hunting in 2022, looking at their features, pros, and cons.
We’ve also shown you how to make your own DIY ice eater if you’d prefer to save some money.