As the hunting season approaches, you get your hunting gear ready for a successful hunting session, but seldom do you spot an animal for hunting.
Unable to find an animal might spoil your mood and precious time. We understand not every deer attractant works, but we have made a list of reviews of the best deer attractants that work.
Animals are intelligent by nature and always outdo us even if we develop fresh baits and strategies. It takes a hunter a lot of practice, patience, and trial and error to find and then finally hunt an animal. Your hunting preference can change depending on the type of hunting you are interested in.
If it’s a trophy hunting expedition, you will tighten your buckles and wait till the attractant finds the best deer to hunt. If you hunt for meat, you can use easy and quick attractant products for hunting and finding your target.
We have made a versatile list with all the options ranging from spray to seeds. There are chances of these old age strategies not working while hunting, but you can rely on our list of deer attractants that work.
Best Deer Attractants – Reviews & Recommendations for 2023
Best Overall: Imperial Clover Food Plot Seed
- Plant type: Clover
- Ingredients: Seeds
- Planting season: Spring/ Fall
- Product Dimensions : 15.75 x 11.5 x 5.75 inches; 2 Pounds
- Color: White
- Material: Blend
- Company: Whitetail institute
Imperial clover seed will change the look of your land. If your land has nothing but weeds growing, consider planting this to grow clover to attract animals, especially deer, to view or hunting practices. Whitetail clover has secured first place in our list for best deer attractant.
The product is made by keeping in mind what a deer loves and is attracted to. This way, the animal can travel from long distances to feed on the clover. Clover food seed will not hide any human odor but will help the deer come to the plot where the clover is growing.
- This product is here to stay with you for years. Once the planting is done, it can last up to 5 years. It is very economical considering the price, amount of product you get and the time to reap its benefits. An 18-pound bag can cover approx. 2.25 acres with the price range starting from $117.30. An initial effort is required, and then you can enjoy the clover that attracts the deer for years.
- This best whitetail attractant is packed with 35% antler-building protein which is fantastic if you want healthy deer running in your yard.
- The food acts as an incredible source of nutrients that helps deer deliver healthier, heavier fawns. They even produce more milk. Not only is this the right product for hunting, but it is ideal if you want to take care of bucks, deer and grow a healthy and nourishing food plot.
- The seeds and the clover plants are extremely cold tolerant. Apart from that, they are good with heat and drought-prone areas too. You can plant Imperial whitetail clover in the warm and drier states of the Southeastern United States or can plant it in the cold regions of Alberta and Canada as well.
- The product is coated with a rainbond for the seedling’s survivability. It is a durable product if you want quality and quantity at the same time.
- There is no critical need for extra fertilizer for the plant as the bucks will smell and automatically come to the area without any external fertilizer’s need. The plant is easy to maintain and grows with good speed.
- You can use this product to attract deer, turkey, and other wildlife- all with just one product.
- While this product grows a good clover flow, few people have noticed the growth of weeds and grass in ample amounts.
- This product contains the only clover that is genetically designed for whitetail deer.
Although we highly recommend Imperial whitetail clover seed, it will benefit if you do a soil test before planting seeds.
A soil test will give you accurate results, and you can easily add up the required fertilizers and extra nutrients that will boost the clover production and stop weeds and regular grass from growing on your piece of land. Apart from that you can close your eyes and buy this without thinking twice.
Runner-Up: Buck Stop Natural Skunk Deer Scent
- Item dimensions: 5.5 x 4.25 x 1 inches; 3.2 Ounces
- Package Weight: 0.4 pounds
- Brand name: BUCK STOP
- Warranty: One year
This natural skunk deer scent is a great tool to pack along for your hunting trip. If you do not have time for other methods, this simple dip and dot scent can help you mask human odor.
Buck stop works as one of the best buck attractants you can find in the market.
- It covers a wide variety of scents but mainly works perfectly for erasing human smell. Even a strong smoke smell will get covered with this product.
- It does not require any type of mixing with another product which honestly saves time, and you do not have to waste buckets or bowls for using Buck stop scent.
- It does not smell artificial and is a 100% natural scent that can fool any animal and especially deer.
- Buck stop liquid is easy to use and does not require a large amount to get results. A few drops strategically placed with a Q-tip are all you need from this scent.
- You can put 3 to 4 drops in a scrape to make the other bucks go wild.
- Buck stop has a natural scent that will attract deer for your hunting practice.
- This product may contain chemicals that can cause cancer or congenital disabilities known to California.
- The potent smell will linger after opening the bottle; this can be very off-putting if stored in the house.
- Its extra feature is the long-lasting product quantity. A little bottle can last you through an entire deer hunting season.
We recommend buying this product if you are comfortable with the skunk’s smell lingering through the environment and on yourself. Avoid using it on your shoes as the smell could stink the whole house. With caution, this product can be beneficial.
Alternative 1: Evolved Habitat Buck Jam
- Product Dimensions : 1 x 1 x 1 inches; 8.32 Pounds
- Brand name: Evolved habitats
- Type: Jam
If you want to buy a product that works only as a food attractant, this is your product. This product has got a 1st runner-up spot on our list because of its easy and straightforward application. Buck jam is one of the top deer attractants you can find in the market. This jam will not mask your odor, so do not apply it to your body unless you want to attract flies and bees.
- It is a gooey gel-like mineral lick that is healthy and natural, unlike other attractants. This attractant is packed with sweet flavors of fruits and nutrients of minerals.
- The price is comparatively affordable according to the quantity. One gallon can cost nearly $10, which is a steal. It has multiple uses and can be used throughout the hunting season.
- Buck jam is the right product if you consider hunting during the rainy season. If placed on a stump or a rotting log, the deer will lick and eat it with love. As it is in gel/ jam consistency, it will stay on the stump even after rainfall. Other attractants might wash away in the rain, but this will stay put in the same spot.
- You can dilute this mixture and spray it on the ground to increase its effectiveness and spread the thick jam on the stump.
- It works well to attract hogs. They will lick it with twice the speed of deer.
- This sweet mineral jam might end up attracting other animals who love eating sweet gels. Mostly hogs and other wild animals will eat the jam, making the deer go away. It is hard to control who should eat this and who shouldn’t. It is a significant drawback of this product.
- Consumers have complained about several occasions where mature deer are not easily attracted to this product. Doe and baby deer come to eat this, but mature deer do not want to go and eat the jam.
- We did not find any extra spectacular feature that might help this product stand out.
We will recommend you to buy this product if you have a place or hunting spot that does not have much active wildlife around. This product will work great, especially when you want to hunt a doe, as they are likely to be more attracted than the deer.
Alternative 2: Wildgame Innovations Acorn Range
- Product Dimensions: 12 x 2 x 21.5 inches
- Brand: Wildgame innovations
- Ingredients: Stabilized rice bran, ground acorns, calcium carbonate, ground extruded whole soybeans, and vegetable oil
- Type: Food attractant
This powder food attractant works like a charm if you want to catch whitetail deer. Acorn range comes in a 15-pound bag which will last you anywhere around 2 to 5 days depending on the quantity you use. It does not hide human odor while hunting.
- Deer like acorns, and this product come in a natural acorn flavor. Deer will nibble down this powder wherever you put it.
- Acorn range does not require any sort of mixing agent or bucket. It comes already mixed in a ready-to-use bag. You empty the bag’s content for the deer to lure them in.
- Apart from acting as an attractant, it is healthy and provides nourishment to the deer.
- Acorn range works excellent in a gravity feeder too.
- If you are doing this to see and admire deer, we suggest you buy acorn range. If you want to click wildlife pictures, then pour heaps of this powder and wait to see different animals enjoying the product.
- Customers who have used this swear by the effectiveness of this product. They have seen many deer huddling and fighting to eat the food.
- You can easily create a trail from their steady path to your shooting range. It might take you a few days, but you can hunt them without stressing about it once the deer starts coming.
- The main drawback is the powder form that it comes in. It is not a great product during the rainy season as the food will quickly wash away if it is on a slope.
- It might not work according to few customers if you are thinking or attracting a mule deer. This product is the best whitetail attractant you can use to hunt them.
- It exclusively attracts and nourishes whitetail deer, so if you are specifically looking for whitetail deer, this product is a perfect choice for you.
Consider buying this product if you want to look, admire and nourish the deer. If you’re going to hunt, then think of hunting whitetail buck as this product attracts this the most. This product is a little costly compared to other attractants, and during hunting season, ordering a huge bag can be difficult because of the product’s unavailability.
Alternative 3: HME Scent Web
- Item dimesions: 9.2 x 4.8 x 3 inches
- Type: Spray string attractant
- Manufacturer: HME
Scent web is a unique spray string canned product for your next hunting trip. It can be used as an attractant and to cover any human smells. It is not advised that you put this directly on your skin. Shoes can be a good starting point. This spray will actively release scents that will attract deer and bring them to your hunting spot. This product is straightforward and fun to use while hunting. Make sure you shake the spray well before spraying it on your surroundings.
- This scent web comes in a fun little spray that is easy to use and quick to spread and cover a larger area.
- There are no worries of leaking or spilling like traditional liquid attractants. You can close the cap off, and the product will stay intact.
- You don’t have to worry about the vegetation being killed as it is safe to spray. It does leave a dark film, but that gets cleaned after a rain cycle.
- Great for states who have banned baiting. It will let you legally hunt without breaking the laws.
- You can dig up mock scrapes, and it works fantastic as the deer will feel this is a real scrape and visit the place.
- This product can shoot a web up to 15 feet away from a spot which will come in handy if you have little time on your hands.
- HME scent spray contains chemicals that can cause cancer or congenital disabilities, known to the state of California.
- The spraying can be noisy and drive the deer away if you are spraying while in the nearby vicinity.
- This spray trail will remain active even after rainfall and continue to work until it dries and becomes brittle. It can stay active for five-plus days, according to few consumers.
This product costs approximately $15 for a can which is a little pricey, but you can make it work by strategically using this product only during pre-rut and rut phrases. If used during this time, it will give you a bang for your “buck.”
Best Deer Attractants FAQs
Do deer scent attractants work?
Yes, deer scent attractants work to a considerably good percentage. These attractants fool the deer by giving them tasty treats or masking the hunter’s odor.
Some people may not have the most incredible luck with scent attractants, but people who understand, know, and study the deer’s pattern and their daily paths have had success with the product. The amount you use, where you use, how many times you use, or how many days you use all boils down to the success of catching a deer.
If you cannot catch a deer, keep trying to study its patterns. Imagine there is a new donut shop near your vicinity. You see it one day and make a note of it. Every time you cross that path, you will smell the fresh donuts, and one day you will decide to go in. Similarly, the deer might be accessing the smell and will come one day.
What scents attract deer the most?
Doe or buck urine is the most powerful attractor. Doe urine is precisely what it sounds like; pure unadulterated urine works the best in all case scenarios.
This attractant is beneficial for calming a deer’s nerves. It piques their curiosity level as it stimulates the smell of new deer in the area. This scent is useful since deer pee in the woods all time, so hunters can use this scent without any problem. The deer will not bat an eye, and you can hunt peacefully.
One thing to keep in mind is, doe urine will attract does and bucks, but buck urine will only attract other bucks. You can experiment and mix different scents like Buck tarsal gland scent or periorbital and forehead gland scent for extra powerful scents, which will help you in your hunting cover.
What are some natural remedies for attracting deer?
Take a large jar of peanut butter and cut a hole at the jar side so deer can access the peanut butter bottled inside. Make sure you hang this jar about 5 feet off the ground. Ideally, it would be best to hang this on a high-traffic trail.
Mix vanilla extract with water and spray it on the stumps and trees around the stand. Using vanilla will attract deer right in the range. This method is easy and has been used for centuries to mask the human odor and lure deer to the hunting spot.
- Mix 3 packs of grape or cherry kool-aid with two pounds of sugar, two pounds of baking soda, and finally, two pounds of table salt.
- Mix until every ingredient is evenly distributed.
- Spread this all over the spot or create a train. You can watch the action on your game camera.
After understanding the situation, you can get your tools ready to hunt the deer in the nearest vicinity.
This is a perfect deer attractant that includes many different mini attractants.
- Syrup or Molasses
- Rotten fruit
- Peanut butter
Steps to make this ultimate homemade deer attractant
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a bucket
- Add your Syrup or Molasses to the dry ingredient bucket.
- Fill 1/3 of the bucket with water and mix everything till it becomes homogeneous. Make sure not to add a lot of water as it will turn watery, not advisable.
- Apply this homemade deer attractant to stumps or on the ground.
On the other hand, what smells do deer hate?
Deer hate plants like marigolds, zinnias, ice plants, and borage. They hate herbs like rosemary, oregano, yarrow, and perennials like bleeding heart, any type of mint, fern, geranium, aloe vera, and black-eyed Susan.
Some trees and shrubs they hate are barberries, butterfly bush, currant, gooseberries. Other deterrents can include soap and laundry detergent smells. Avoid peeing where you want the deer to gather as they tend to walk away from any human smells.
We hope that these deer attractant reviews were helpful to you.
We took a lot of time to find different attractants that come in various forms and varieties so that you can have a wide variety to choose from. Think of your end goal and see which product best suits your needs.
We have kept a transparent and honest review system that will help you choose the right product for this hunting season. Don’t forget to look at the homemade and natural remedies. Their ingredients are readily available around your house.
Happy deer hunting!